Monday, December 8, 2008

MicasaStyle’s Design Spotlight – Spa Bathroom

MicasaStyle’s Design Spotlight is proud to be shining brightly on designer KathySue this week and her Small But Spa-like Bathroom. The beautiful, serene colors and attention to detail caught our eye and we just had to have more information about the design of this room.
Although the bathroom is small, KathySue has made the most of the space and created a functional, open and very attractive room.

KathySue describes herself as a very detailed person and after hearing about her meticulous planning, we definitely agree. She began by laying out the entire remodel of the bathroom and decided on the ocean as her inspiration. She wanted to incorporate the colors of water, sand, clouds and sky into this space and naturally her first thought went to mosaic tile. Since she is also a huge fan of white tile, it seemed the perfect fit for her shower and toilet area.
After the main colors we’re picked, the detailed planning began. She designed the wall of the shower on graph paper to make certain the cuts would be even and also made sure the bench in the sitting area was at the perfect height for leg shaving. But it wasn’t just a detailed plan that produced this amazing room; it was also KathySue’s determination to design the room the way she had envisioned it.

As with any project, there were a few bumps in the road but she didn’t let that ruin the feel she was going for. She didn’t settle on mediocre pieces, but instead, hunted for items that were the ‘perfect fit’. By shopping around for the perfect pieces, she was actually able to score some really great deals, like the mirror ($89) and vessel sink ($200) that she purchased at Lowe’s.
She considers her biggest success the tiled shower wall since it had to be well thought out and measured precisely to fit without any gaps. However, her favorite piece (and ours too), is the mosaic tile. The colors and style of the tile backdrop create a wonderful sea-like feel and is by far the most eye-catching piece in the entire room.

Some may consider all the attention to detail over the top, but we admire the time and effort KathySue put into this room. We think she created a perfect marriage of design and functionality, which is the ultimate goal of any designer - amateur or professional.
We’d like to end this post with a quote from KathySue that describes exactly how we think that someone should decorate their home. “I always go for ‘feel’ rather than a look. If the house doesn’t ‘feel’ like I want it, it just becomes a well decorated house not a home.” We couldn’t agree more. Thanks to KathySue for sharing her home with us.

You can check out this space and many more from her at MicasaStyle.com.

Labels: , , , , ,

17 Comments:

At December 8, 2008 at 1:06 PM , Blogger Kat said...

I have always loved this bathroom, I've told Kathysue that this is what I want our master to look like when it grows up! The colors and attention to detail are amazing, but if you've seen any of her spaces you would know not to expect anything less than perfection!

 
At December 8, 2008 at 3:33 PM , Blogger Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

When I first saw this bathroom, I was amazed! It is SO well done that it doesn't look like a small bathroom, but that is what KathySue's description said it was. IMHO, her attention to detail certainly paid off. It is a gorgeous spa. laurie

 
At December 8, 2008 at 5:23 PM , Blogger Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

This bathroom is pure perfection and so Kathysue. The rest of her rooms are done with the same attention to detail. If you've missed them you've missed the best of Micasa. Marty

 
At December 8, 2008 at 5:37 PM , Blogger lvroftiques said...

Oh girlfriend this is sooo well deserved!! You are such a design pro!! This bathroom is fabulous! I actually love your toile bathroom even more (just me and my crazy addiction to things french) *winks* And I hope people in DROVES will check out all your spaces! To those reading..bring a kleenex because you will definitely have to clean up some drool! *winks* Vanna

 
At December 8, 2008 at 6:08 PM , Blogger Kathysue said...

Oh you ladies are too kind, thank you so much for coming over and leaving a comment, it really means a lot to me.Kat,Laurie,Marty and Vanna, You all are the best.Hugs to you all, Kathysue

 
At December 8, 2008 at 6:13 PM , Blogger Tomarie said...

Kathysue,
I'm so happy to see that Micasa picked your beautiful bathroom to showcase! The tile work is stunning...and the colors are TO DIE FOR!! I've always thought that "sea colors" were just the best in a bathroom. Everyone has said it, but your attention to detail is awe-inspiring in all of your spaces! I can only imagine all the hard work it took to "graph out" the tiles in the shower..but it certainly paid off!! Congrats for the WELL-DESERVED recognition!! Micasa knows how to pick them! :-)
Laura

 
At December 8, 2008 at 6:44 PM , Blogger Cyndi said...

I have always thought this bathroom could be on the cover of a magazine.It is as beautiful as the lady who created it.Well done Kathysue!

 
At December 8, 2008 at 7:15 PM , Blogger Kathysue said...

Laura and Cyndi,You both are too gracious thank you soooo much for leaving such nice comments.You are both sweethearts. Hugs, kathysue

 
At December 8, 2008 at 8:44 PM , Blogger Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Congrats Kathysue!!! Your bathroom is incredible. I expected nothing less than perfection from you. It shows in everything you do. I've always admired and been impressed with your lovely home... I'm so proud to call you friend.. You deserve this recognition...I have a feeling this is only the beginning of your stardom!!
hugs ~lynne~

 
At December 8, 2008 at 8:57 PM , Blogger xinex said...

Good choice on your part in featuring this bathroom. It is one of the best well designed bathroom that I have seen and I have seen a lot. The color is very soothing and relaxing. When it comes to beauty and simplicity, this one has it all for sure!..Christine

 
At December 9, 2008 at 1:43 AM , Blogger Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Oh Kathysue...this could not happen to a better gal or a more beautiful Bathroom..You can just see all the love you put into the detail in this bathroom and every room in your home..just beautiful..I have always loved it girl!! hugs and smiles Gloria

 
At December 9, 2008 at 7:48 AM , Blogger Kathysue said...

Christine and Gloria, thank you for coming here and leaving such glowing comments,You guys are faithful supporters that I can call Friend.Hugs Kathysue

 
At December 9, 2008 at 12:39 PM , Blogger Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Oh Kathysue...You know I love this bathroom. It's one of my favorites along with your toile guest bath. I am so excited that they chose you to spotlight because you certainly deserve it. You have such a natural talent for decorating. And I must say that I am even more impressed now that I have an idea of the amount of work it takes to create a pattern in the tile! Congratulations...Debbie

 
At December 9, 2008 at 1:11 PM , Blogger Kathysue said...

Thank you Debbie,it was a lot of planning but I won't do any project for myself or others without plan,plan and more planning.I really appreciate you support and compliments,you're a wonderfu lady and one I am proud to call Friend.Hugs Kathysue

 
At January 7, 2009 at 2:31 PM , Blogger Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Kathysue, if you see this, please email me! I got your note at my blog & I'd love to chat with you. This looks like a very fun site too, so I joined. My email is on my blog. I love your style & definitely will come back & check this out more.

Rhoda at Southern Hospitality

 
At January 8, 2009 at 2:51 PM , Blogger Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Kathysue, got both your notes at my blog, but don't have a way to contact you, so I hope you'll see this. Thank you for the compliments, I'm glad you got some inspiration from my photos. I love decorating too & just might have to join in here with some pics myself. Send me an email at rhoda12@bellsouth

 
At February 7, 2009 at 10:00 AM , Blogger The Style Sisters said...

Kathysue,
Thank you for your inspiring words and comments on my blog today. Truly they lifted my spirits so much and I will share them with my brother.

I am so glad I found this blog! This is a great place to come and find great design ideas. Thanks again for your words and for letting me find this site.

Karin "The Style Sisters"

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home